RECOGNIZING SIGNS OF HEARING LOSS
The holiday season is a great time for catching up with family and friends you don’t see very often. In the course of those gatherings and visits, don’t be surprised if you notice some changes in people…or in yourself. In particular, we’re referring to changes in your or someone else’s ability to hear. Here are some warning signs to watch, or listen, for:
- Trouble hearing people who are standing at a distance
- Frequently asking people to repeat themselves
- Having a hard time understanding people in rooms filled with background noise
- Speaking especially loudly, because you can’t hear yourself well
- People sounding like they’re mumbling all the time
- Complaints that the TV volume is way too loud
- Women and children seem difficult to hear.
If you recognize signs of hearing loss in yourself or someone you care about, there is no such thing as too soon to do something about it. Take your friend or family member aside, express your concern and suggest that they get in touch with a certified hearing healthcare provider. If you suspect hearing loss in yourself, take that same advice and give us a call right away. We’ll be to help you figure out if you have hearing loss, what type it is, and what can be done about it.